Wednesday, January 4, 2006

A Few Points Of Interest

A few interesting articles I've found on the web recently:


Advice for those thinking about starting a company.  From someone who did it and came back to the corporate world.  If you want to read more about startups, I suggest you check out Paul Graham.


Joel Spolsky writes about the dangers of teaching Java in schools.  I find his thoughts on this subject similar to mine.  You need to learn the hard languages first, even if you don't plan to use them much.  It's easier to learn Java if you know C++ than to learn C++ if you know Java.  Kinda makes me want to go learn Lisp.


Avi talks about a new method for estimating project costs.  It is intriguing because it takes a middle-ground approach.  It doesn't just guess and move on but it doesn't try to plan for every detail either.  I'm really not a big fan of the "we can understand the project fully and thus know the costs" mentality which has left me often in the WAG department.  This new approach may be a good compromise.


I'm also becoming a fan of memeorandum.  Unlike Del.icio.us and reddit, this one seems to have a pretty high signal to noise ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment