Friday, March 2, 2007

Soundscapes 101

Back in May of 2006 I was invited to a recording session at Microsoft Studios (yes, we have out own studios--very cool place) with Robert Fripp.  He's the artist brought in to help develop the Windows sound for Vista.  This was the 2nd of two sessions I'm aware he had here at Microsoft.  Robert Scoble was invited to the session and videotaped it.  I'm told that this is a rare recording of Fripp at work.  He goes through the creation of a soundscape and gives an explanation the gear he is using.  He also plays a few early versions of what became the Vista "Pearl Sound."  It amazes me that all this work was distilled down to just 4 notes.  I kinda like the power chord versions.  The video of the recording session is followed by an interview with Fripp.  The person working closest with Fripp here is Steve Ball who is one of the Program Managers I work closely with as part of the audio team in Windows.  If you have any interest in Fripp or the sound production process, I suggest you give this video a view.


P.S.  You can spot me in the white t-shirt at about the 7:30 mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment